Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Sunday Morning Muse, April 17, 2011


Here it is Palm Sunday. Spent part of the morning putting in a few more seeds. . . hoping that we'll have no more frost. Tithonia, Castor Bean, Zinnias, and later, nasturtiums and snapdragons. My uncle gave me some super big size pepper seeds yesterday. This, after I decided in my head to scrap the pepper garden this year. Change of plans. Looks like another summer of carrying water.
-
The amaranthys I started a few days ago is up already, inside, here on my desk. (photo) I grow them every year...big plumes...4 and a half feet tall. And after just a couple days I can already see the purple color. I grow the other kind, too. It's called Love Lies Bleeding. Hmmm. Have to look up just why that is.
-
Whoa...just found out the Catholics cut off people's hands who grew them back in the 1500's.

-
-

In 1525, the Catholic church threw itself into a campaign systematically to destroy the ancient pre-Colombian religious practices, and six years later a bishop brimming over with zeal claimed to have destroyed 20 000 idols and 500 places of worship. Those who continued to practice the Aztec religion were either whipped, or reduced to forced labour in the monasteries or they were executed. When certain gardeners defied the interdiction upon growing Amaranthus in their gardens they were punished by having their hands removed. The Indian population estimated in 1519 to number 11 million was by 1540 reduced to 6.5 million, victim of brutal exploitation and European disease.

-
Yikes, the Catholics were pretty brutal. And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments: