Saturday, June 4, 2011

Speaking of Fairness




I suppose life just isn't fair. Like someone once said, if it were then birds couldn't eat worms. Cats couldn't eat birds, and coons couldn't eat, well...Kolbassa.
-
The Coco kitty, who showed up here a few years ago, obviously has eaten far more Fancy Feast than wild game in her past life. Had to have been an indoor cat. Today she caught her first bird. Right out of thin air. Didn't know she could actually jump, because like me, she can be the perfect "body at rest."
-
Only a wing was broken, so the bird just stood there stunned, unable to fly. And Coco
equally stunned, had no idea what to do with it. Now, if this had been Sweet Pea, the bird would have a clean puncture wound to the lung, take a few gasps of air and be dead. Some awfully loud blue jays saw all this unfold and decided it wasn't fair and started diving at Coco. Shocked the heck out of me. Why would two blue jays care about a sparrow in peril?
-
I got the shovel and took the bird to the back of the burnpile at the edge of the woods and put Coco on the porch to contemplate her "catch" and the fact she could've had her eyes poked out by two very mad jays.
-
Glancing back at the woods I felt sorry for the little bird. Minutes later I saw a raccoon making its way down that way. And another thought popped in my head. This is about the time in the evening I "dump" the remains of my supper near the burnpile where the groundhog lives. I actually thought I was "feeding" the groundhog...who ate rather well lately...leftover kolbassa, pierogies, pizza. I took all kinds of leftovers out there nightly rather than stuff them in the garbage for fear the coon would get them. But no...groundhogs are herbivores, I'm told. Oops.
-
So WHO ate the kolbassa? Allowing for an occasional possum or passing stray cat... a light bulb comes on. I'm feeding the damn coon. He's on the frigging path to the burnpile.
-
NO more.
-
Mostly because I worry about Coco. Not that she is out at night at all....but this was evening for Chrissakes. Aren't coons sleeping now? I can't be attracting this creature so close to the house. It could go after Coco.
-
Those of you who know me, know of my past run ins with groundhogs. Well I don't have a vegetable garden this year, so I don't really care about him. He managed to not die when we tried to burn the burnpile...even with all that smoke, so I suppose he deserves to live a little longer.
-
I think that's fair.

3 comments:

Suki said...

See, I think CoCo was actually feral. Don't you? Remember how wild and scary she was in the beginning?

M.J. said...

No...not at all. I think she was totally loved by someone. She was wild and skinny and scary because she didn't know how to survive out there.
She is amazing now. Comes when I call her...she is attentive and super friendly and loves everyone. She adores having her belly rubbed, too..which is a vulnerable thing a feral cat would never do.

Suki said...

I think she would have come when you called in the beginning if she had had any positive human connections. The reason I knew she could come around was because I had a kitty that was the same way. He was wild and insane because he had never been loved. For months when I first got him, he wouldn't even make eye contact with me. It's as if I didn't exist. But now he's the sweetest, most loving boy ever. My #1 kitty in my heart--and it's because we broke through that barrier together.