Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Sunday Morning Muse, June 12, 2011



I am fascinated by space, and have been my whole life. I read a lot of sci-fi as a kid and was influenced by Harlan Ellison, Isaac Asimov and others. Mostly I read "compilations" that include many different stories by various authors (Dangerous Visions comes to mind) and was a big X-Files fan way back when, before the series got too strange even for me. I was no trekkie, but I did enjoy Star Trek. Capt. Kirk was a great character...handsome, sexy, funny, and in command. And I loved watching Cosmos with Carl Sagan. I read the book "Contact" way before the movie came out...and saw the movie. Carl died so young....62. Jodie Foster is such a great actress.
-
All that has led me to be a big lover of the space program. Not just the romance of it...but the search for answers. So much more of our total dollars on this planet should go to exploration. It is our only hope as a species, and there is so much to learn out there about the universe. I am willing to bet 99 percent of the people on this planet, living right now, don't know that Voyager is out there... way past PLUTO if you can imagine, still sending back information. It blows my mind. It was launched in the late 70's.
-

No comments: