Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Sunday Morning Muse, June 26, 2011


It's a beautiful Sunday morning in June. I read something this week...and I'll have to paraphrase, but it was something like, if everyone would just sit and do nothing, 80 percent of the world's problems would be solved.
-
Today would be a good day to do that. But then again you could always weed. Weeding has become my new hobby. I have a foot problem at the moment...stretched a ligament or tendon or some such thing and now I'm limited somewhat. Weeding is a way to sit my butt down and still make use of my time other than surf Ebay. (Though I do have to check on this Floxite mirror I bid on. More later.)
-
Take care of your feet, and they will take you everywhere you want to go, my dad used to say. Good advice. I've traded sexy ankle strap wedgies for orthotics and sensible shoes for now, and I admit, I'm feeling quite the middle aged biddy because of it. I take comfort in that I am not alone. More people my age are reaching for the cheater glasses, too.
-
Which brings me back to the Floxite mirror. This thing isn't your mother's Conair thing with purplish natural light and bulbs around it. It is a serious magnifying mirror. You can actually see every pore on your face. This is not always a good thing. The wrinkles and blemishes are close and up front, too. It is actually quite startling the first time you look into it. I have a couple of different mirrors to change out from the base that magnify even more. I think doctors use these mirrors for people when they first get contacts.
-
But I like this mirror. It's rather humbling at first. But you get beyond that and the practical uses are endless. I've dug stuff out of my eye no one else could see. I've put on make up perfectly. Realized just how bad some cheap makeup was... that looked fine from the bathroom mirror.

-
Anyhow, mine broke and I tried to fix it. The arm broke in two at the elbow, and I stuck a golf tee in the hole, then a chopstick, and other things in it and wrapped it in electrical tape, but it still was top heavy and broke. So this bid is important.
-
But for now, back to weeding.

No comments: