Monday, September 24, 2007

Fake Acupuncture-- It's Not a Joke


My intent is not to needle anyone about this, instead I'll just get to the point. I just read a study that claims to show that fake acupuncture is almost as good as the real thing for back pain. (The fake acupuncture isn't as deep with the needles, doesn't have the "manipulation," plus the needles aren't really inserted into the traditional "points.")

The gist of the study seems to reveal that part of it is the placebo effect, of course... mental attitude toward the therapy has a lot to do with it. But also just putting the needles in may release natural painkillers.... and open up blocked energy.


I fell on the ice awhile back. It was not pretty, but could have been worse. Pain management was something new to me. I've done heat therapy, electro stimulation, massage, chiropractic manipulation, pressure points, rubber ball movement therapy, the roller table (wow!!!), exercises and even reiki.
-
Fortunately, I have never had such terrible pain that I was motivated to have someone stick needles in me. (Though I probably would, if the pain ever got that bad.) I have leveled out, though I have occasional problems when I do stupid things like bully stuff around or get in awkward positions.) In the future, if I find myself in chronic pain again, perhaps I'd go for something in between.... like, don't stick the needles in really far, but do put them where they should be, and manipulate them... a little bit.

-
I'm a big believer in massage... for the body and the mind. And I seem to have a knack for finding pressure points. The relief is incredible.... especially for minor aches.... like after sports, or for neck tension... shoulders, etc. Massage was the only thing that truly helped my lower back, by loosening me up enough to be able to then exercise and strengthen that area.


Reiki, is an area I want to explore further. I've had a couple of treatments, and though it is out there a little further on the fringe of alternative treatments, I believe there is potential for results. I don't discount anything that involves basic touch and positive energy. We all certainly need more of that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want to talk about Reiki sometime give me a call at Butler. I am a Reiki Grand Master, and still learning new versions weekly.
Dave