Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Sunday Morning Muse, September 23, 2007


Another week gone by. Just like THAT. Someone once said life is like roll of toilet paper, the more you use the faster it goes. And so it is. It's getting scary.


My muse this week is a professor from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. Randy Pausch, a 46-year-old computer science professor, who gave his last lecture this week and made national headlines for what is billed as his "lecture of a lifetime."


Being the cynic I am, when it was promo- ed on the evening news, as coming up next....I thought... here we go...another Good man dying-- salute to courage type story to drum up the ratings. I almost clicked past. I'm so glad I didn't. It really stirred me inside. Not with some cheap, passing, I feel sorry for some guy dying of cancer but what can I do- type of emotion. No. It aroused in me a series of emotions--- admiration, respect, and a sweet sadness . Then he inspired me to appreciate, to dream, to live-- and not for one minute feel sorry for him. Then when I knew what to expect and watched a second time, I had different feelings. I was angry that someone like him has to leave so soon, and others, ( insert your favorite vile person here, I'll choose Ann Coulter) live on. Using their life, not to live dreams, learn, educate others, but instead to spew hate and generally be a pain in the *ss, and use up air.


If you do nothing else today, listen to this. Here's the link. Enjoy!

No comments: