Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Someday Hootie will be Gone


The magnolias are in bloom in Georgia, and it is time once again for The Masters at the Augusta National Golf Club. Hard to believe five years have gone by since Martha Burke led a protest at the 2003 Tournament to call attention to the male-only membership rules at the club.
--
The controversy between Martha...and Hootie that incorrigible old coot who chaired the golf club... went on for months. It became fueled by thousands of newspaper articles, TV coverage, and even a book-- not to mention all the arguments in golf clubs near and far, of which I contributed to several. The issue continues to today, as you can read here, as five years has done nothing to erode rampant sexism.


To me, it's more than just about not admitting women as members to Augusta. It's personal. You can make all the arguments you want about it being a private club... and say men can have men only clubs just as women can have sewing circles or whatever, but---spoken as a woman who can hold her own with the men she plays golf with, I have come to expect fair treatment and respect. I earned it through practice and dedication to this sport. I can compete with average men golfers out there and I do. So when I hear that women at a local country club can't tee off until after 2pm on Sundays..... it sickens me. If it is a 'slower players hold up prime time' argument, then let golf scores determine who can play when. Not breasts.
--
I think it applies here too. A beautiful club like Augusta National, with people involved in it who all have in common the love of the game... why WOULD someone want to exclude me if I had a lot of money and loved the sport-- only because I have breasts? I'm a lot of fun. And if I had a lot of money I would be EVEN MORE FUN. Someday neanderthals like Hootie will be gone and a new generation of golfers will replace him. Men who grew up playing with women like me on the local public courses--- and had a good time. Or men who took their daughters to the driving range and taught them the game. Until then, you men can come and join my 'sewing circle or whatever' anytime you want--- after 2 pm.

No comments: