Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Sunday Morning Muse, April 13, 2008



The Russians are coming
and they will lead us
into boxcars.


Aunt Millie worried
all the time
about them.

She kept an orderly house and
made pierogies on Fridays
during Lent.

Babushska around her head
and polyester pants
splitting apart in the back,
I saw her on the porch roof
painting the overhang.

When the Russians come,
she said,
They will say
Millie had a nice roof.

---
MJ Copyright, 1987

Aunt Millie would have been 98 years old this week. I wrote this as a tribute to her. I remember when I was growing up she took the Cold War seriously. Of course I always wondered where she thought the Russians would take us in those boxcars. Cleveland? After all this wasn't Nazi Germany.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your poem.