Saturday, February 21, 2009

Forever Yellow



A few weeks ago my mother's dresser drawer got stuck. After I got it open, I was amazed to see this wrap around yellow skirt with these God-awful white stripes--folded neatly and preserved in a plastic bag. She kept that thing all these years.
-
It is the one and only piece of clothing I have ever sewn. It exists as proof that my Home Economics teacher in high school wouldn't let this stubborn girl quit. Let's just say sewing wasn't my strong suit. It wasn't my suit at all. I could NOT SEW. Period. Even a simple wrap around skirt. She made me rip the stitching from that skirt and start again no less than 4 times. I hated that skirt so much I didn't care if I left it laying in shreds on the floor. I vaguely remember swearing at the teacher just to get put out into the hall instead of having to spend another second of my life fighting with that sewing machine.
-
All these years later, it still exists, never worn, and hasn't seen the light of day since I brought it home when I was 16 years old. But it serves a great purpose. It is a tangible reminder that though I sometimes think I can do anything if I set my mind to it, there are things in life that will never be easy. The other lesson I learned is.... even if I do manage to finish something I don't like doing, it still ain't gonna be pretty.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this post! Put a smile on my face. So sweet. And reminded me of my days of sewing in Home Ec. I remember have a complete meltdown one night when working on a shirt at home. I tore the shirt up in a tantrum and threw it under the bed!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this post! Put a smile on my face. So sweet. And reminded me of my days of sewing in Home Ec. I remember have a complete meltdown one night when working on a shirt at home. I tore the shirt up in a tantrum and threw it under the bed!