Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Sunday Morning Muse, August 14, 2011

I've never had the car I wanted, only the car I could afford. Not that I'm the type who pines over the latest, hip, fancy cars. But I heard Ford is going to make a car with solar roof system. I'd look into something like that. It's like the FUTURE IS NOW. I'd be able to wave at the high priced gas station signs as I go by...and ease on down the road. Never have smelly hands from pumping gas again.
-
I remember when I was a kid old man Carl had a gas station at the end of the street. You ran over a tube and a bell went off in his office and Carl, who was perpetually 80 years old to me, would walk out to the car, never in a hurry, and wipe down your windows, ask about the family, mention the nice weather, put in$5.00 worth of gas, and then you would be on your way. It was a pleasant experience. Sometimes I'd go in and get a coke, or buy my mother her cigarettes inside his little "store" which was nothing more than two glass cases in his small room, with candy, and tobacco. An old Coke machine was against the wall. And a table with two chairs, if you felt you wanted to sit down and chat with Carl.
-
Now I pull into Sheetz, jump out, swipe a card, pump my own gas, wait 20 seconds for a receipt and I'm outta there. The money isn't real anymore. I just fill it up and whatever it is, it is. You have to have it. And I don't talk to anyone. Of course, the bright side is I could go into Sheetz and get a coffee, a sandwich, play the Lottery or bring back donuts for work. I think even Carl would have liked that.
-
An electric car with a solar roof. I'm putting it on the list for "someday." When I can by the car I want....and it is still the car I can afford.

No comments: