Sunday, August 14, 2011

To End All Wars


The day I got this book in the mail was the same day I heard the author on Fresh Air talking about it. I know it seems strange I'm reading about World War I. Not the summer hot romance book or anything about vampires.
-
But I was reading about Haller's Army on the internet, and thinking about how my grandfather left America to go back home and fight in the war for the sake of his homeland, Poland, and I realized I didn't know all that much about the war. I think now he was gone about 3 years. I found the ship he came back on in 1920. The government commissioned the ship to bring them back home, and according to some accounts I have read, the men had to "wait it out' a long time
to get home after the war was over. I'm glad he made it back and met my grandmother. The men were given the choice to stay in Poland...but Poland wasn't the same, they said. So much was lost in the war. An epic scale of human deaths, devastated land, and loss.
-
This book is different than a lot of books on the war, because it gives light to those who opposed the war at the time and some their stories as well as others who faught in it and held deep convictions in favor of it.
-
To tell the truth, the interview on Fresh Air was easier for me to understand than the book. Not that it's the author's fault. I think I need a primer on the basics, so I have some context in which to read the stories the man has researched.

No comments: