Thursday, May 15, 2008

By Chance, I'm Ordering This Book


I heard a great interview last night on Coast to Coast AM with George Noory. Author Leonard Mlodinow was on the show talking about The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives-- a book that came out this week. The point in the show when I tuned in, he was telling George how Roger Maris' record homerun season was probably just lucky. Knowing very little about baseball, I almost turned the dial, and I'm glad I didn't. The author launched into a very interesting... intelligent and just funny explanation -- using statistics--about how sometimes average players get lucky. A lot of what happens to us in life has to do with random chance.


( from Amazon.com)

“A wonderfully readable guide to how the mathematical laws of randomness
affect our lives.”--Stephen Hawking, author of A Brief History of Time

If you go to the website, you can read an exerpt from the book. It makes you think about the sheer acts of chance that put you where you are right now. Some people say there are no coinsedences. I have to think about that.

No comments: