Friday, May 23, 2008

Downloading at the Dentist's Office


You know the download countdown? The percentages that either appear as a disappearing bar or a succession of disappearing dots... whatever... showing you how much longer you have to wait until your download is complete? I wish they had something like that in the dentist's office. Right there on the ceiling or on the overhead lamp...

What I'm getting at is, yesterday I even told the assistant to talk. Just TALK TO ME, while she and the dentist are doing their thing in my mouth. The only thing worse then not knowing EXACTLY HOW LONG THIS IS GOING TO TAKE, is the actual drilling interspersed with deafening silence. She politely told me that she and the dentist concentrate on their work. I KNOW that... but would it hurt to give me a play by play to keep me at least informed on progress?

Wouldn't it be comforting, as you are fighting back the urge to swallow spit, and your cheek seems to be tearing open from the mirror handle pulling it back, to hear:"There! All done with drilling... now I'm putting in the silver stuff and packing it nicely....looks good.... only a few minutes left.... going great.... just a little picking around with this instrument for a few seconds... a little buffing...and--- a little heat lamp to seal it up...and... VOILA!"

No comments: