Saturday, May 10, 2008

Donovan Leitch's Catch the Wind




Donovan's 62nd birthday is today.I've had a sort of life long love affair with his music. Catch the Wind was his first hit and is also one of my favorite songs of all time. I like this version a lot. The Donovan singing here is how I remember him from my childhood. That distinctive guitar, the 70's garb, the gentle minstrel. Below is a picture I took of him when I saw him in the late 1980's. Looking right at me, by the way. :)


To me, the best songs speak directly from the heart of the musician. Writing and sharing your music are deeply personal experiences. Maybe that is why I don't watch American Idol. I have no interest in watching people rehash versions of other people's work in hopes of gaining some fleeting stardom. A paint-by-numbers Mona Lisa would illicit a similiar response from me. I want the real thing.

No comments: