Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Sunday Morning Muse, May 4, 2008



People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.


--Isaac Asimov



It's amazing how little patience I have these days. I blame it on Television. My remote already "knows" not to stop on Basketball, Fox News and Lawrence Welk a half second before it fully registers in my own mind. But I am particularly fast on the trigger with talking head political shows these days, as there is rarely if ever anything of substance said, and the chance of my blood pressure going up increases with every second I don't click past it.


I've observed that we are past a sort of communication "tipping point." At one time there were people, very smart people, with great ideas. The kind that would actually serve the common good to be more disseminated among the masses. A lot of exchange of really important ideas naturally occurred at universities, where educated people came together. Common folk in the hills could find out what was happening outside of their small towns in any way they could--- filtered through the papers, perhaps attending a 'guest' lecture at a local hall or church now and then.. but getting their "own" ideas out was a much more difficult matter. It was tough to "get above your raisin'."


And here we are in the age of instantaneous communication just about everywhere, and it would seem the old adage, "the weeds are taking over the garden," can be sadly applied when it comes to any sort of education to common people. Indeed, education itself was looked upon with disdain in the Gore Versus Bush election. Wasn't George Bush trying to portray himself as "plainspoken?" (Not like those elists who think they are better than you!) The Candididate you would "most want to have a beer" with?


Look where it has gotten us. I want the smartest, most educated, intellectual, savvy, creative, intelligent, progressive, free thinker there can be as President of the United States. I hope I get my wish someday.

No comments: