Saturday, May 3, 2008

Hang on to Your Hat, It's Derby Day


It's about 20 minutes till the Kentucky Derby and my bets are in. I didn't go hog wild this year, perhaps succumbing to the hype surrounding Big Brown and Colonel John. After years of failed strategies, I have narrowed it down to this:
-
I picked the two favorites and added Court Vision at 20 -1, just for a shot at more money on a trifecta.
-
This, after I had considered just picking Big Brown and taking practically the whole field for second place. I also could have just plunked down a bigger bet on him to win, but... I saw an interview with Big Brown's owner and ... confidence is one thing, but a braggart with an attitude is quite another. People like him tend to get smacked by the Horse Gods, so I wasn't going to put all my eggs in one basket.
-
UPDATE: Okay, so I lost again. At least I was right about a "favorite" winning. I had Big Brown with Colonel John and Court Vision. I feel really bad that the only female horse in the race had to be euthanized after breaking both ankles. The horse gave it all.....and came in second place. What a heartache for the owner. Rest in Peace Eight Belles.

No comments: