Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bruce Springsteen and Walmart


I read with interest the latest hoopla over The Boss's deal with Walmart to sell his Greatest Hits CD.


Some fans were critical because Springsteen has been a longtime supporter of worker's rights, and Wal-Mart has faced criticism for its labor practices. Springsteen's team didn't vet the issue as closely as it should have, and that he "dropped the ball on it," he told the Times for a story to be published in Sunday editions and previewed on its Web site.


Now, I have to confess, Walmart has received a large share of my household income these past 10 years. I have a Super Walmart only two miles away. My neighbors work there. Great people who I enjoy seeing when I shop there. Yeah, I know about the non union stuff. Yeah I know about the cheap clothing from China, Bangladesh and other ends of the planet.


I know all this....and every Sunday I have to wrestle my conscience. Do I support my neighbors who really need a job and spend my money at Walmart? Or do I stand up against an anti union company whose merchandise largely comes from places I will never see, made by people who obviously have less than standard labor conditions and work for chicken feed?


Anyhow, this isn't about me. It's about The Boss. A guy with the nickname THE BOSS should know better. Or his managers should. Bruce Springsteen is the working man's hero. He is playing halftime at the Superbowl, for Chrissakes. The blue collar man's BIGGEST EVENT ON EARTH

this weekend.


So on some level this whole thing bothers people. I get it. I understand their gripe. As for The Boss, he said:



"It was a mistake. Our batting average is usually very good, but we missed
that one. Fans will call you on that stuff, as it should be."
-------------


But I'm pretty sure it won't affect record sales too much.


No comments: