Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Sunday Morning Muse, January 11, 2009


I was wrong. We actually got 7 inches of snow here, instead of my 5 inch prediction. Some folks in the listening area actually got 11 inches, so I guess that really is a snow storm. Suki and I have been writing back and forth about snow. She loves it. Plans her life to be near it. I simply endure it.


I have dug two cars out this morning that were "plowed in" on the street. Actually worked up a sweat doing this, so it counts as my exercise for the week. I also climbed the "big hill" three times and managed not to have a heart attack. I think I can skip the stress test.


The other thing about the cold and snow is the this terrible ice that we call "black ice" around these parts. It's there but you don't see it. My mom's driveway goes down a steep hill that empties onto a main highway. I can't tell you how many times I have flirted with death going up or down that hill with a thin layer of ice on it, only to have the back end of the car swing sideways and start sliding out of control down the hill. If I do not gain control there are two options. I could crash into the telephone pole convieniently located at the bottom, or slide right into oncoming traffic going 50 miles an hour.


It's a crap game really. Each winter I roll the dice... on the ice. If I lose I could lose my life. If I live, I get to shovel more snow and ice.


That's my view of winter.


If I hit the lottery you can bet I will move SOUTH. I'll take my chances with hurricane season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do love the snow. It's like something out of a fairy tale. If we didn't have snow, some creative writer would come up with the concept. And children would imagine such a place where this could be experienced: magical crystals--none alike--fall from the sky and coat the earth in a blanket of white. An ethereal world created overnight. But it's not in a fairy tale. It's real. And every time it comes, it feels like magic to me.