Saturday, January 3, 2009

Zooming into the New Millennium, Late


I am pleased to announce the coming new addition to my family. No, it's not a cat. It's a beautiful new Acer Aspire computer with loads of speed and memory and even....gasp... a DVD player. I'm finally into the new millennium. It will be here next week.

-
My current computer served me well. It was put together much like Frankenstein in a basement somewhere eons ago, and then parts were salvaged from it and put into a new shell with a few new components and more memory a few years ago as an update. Since then it has survived not being shut off for months at a time, no windows updates for two years or more and I didn't defrag in so long that it took almost a day to do it when I finally got around to it.
-
I sweat change. I debated a long time over the best way for me to "transition" into a new computer. I am familiar with this one. I know its quirks, I know how far to go before it freezes up. I have it set up they way I want it. And now...everything will be different. Well, not really. As I understand it, part of the guts of this one will go into my new one and I'll get to keep everything on my hard drive. All smiles over that one.
-
Alas, no floppy disc drive. I may have to spend the weekend trying to convert some old ones to CD. If I can. I tried this once and it was an exercise in futility. Some data was lost forever.
-
But....this will all be worth it. Then I can coast for a few years.
-

Happy Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are external floppy disc drives that you can plug into your USB port!

(No need to lose any data. Just get one of these gadgets on your next splurge.)