Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Sunday Morning Muse, January 18, 2009


As much as I'm looking forward to having Barack Obama as President of the United States, I must say I have absolutely no desire to attend the ceremonies in Washington, D.C. I hate porto-potties, crowds and cold temperatures.

Oh, I've heard people say it will be something to brag about in the future. Much like telling your grandchildren that you were there at the Gettysburg Address.

I concede that for those of you who want to be a part of history, I get it. It IS a big deal. Wear long underwear. But do it for YOURSELF. Because YOU want to be there and be, in a small way, a part of it. Enjoy the moment.

But I'm thinking these grandchildren will care less. I can hear these digital TV age precious little kids of the future saying,"Yeah, that's nice grandma, but why would you go stand out there in the cold, wait in long lines to use the bathroom, and suffer a miserable bus trip when you could have watched it in Hi-Def and had a much better view of what was going on?"

They have a point.

But grandma will be able to tell her own story about that day. What she saw, who she met and how she felt. And maybe-- she'll be able to convey that there is more to life than what you see on television.

No comments: